Exposure 1.1 is now available on the App Store. This is the first serious feature update for Exposure, and it includes a ton of work under the hood which is succinctly summarised in the release notes as:
Thumbnails now load much faster.
Exposure started life as a prototype desktop application (hereinafter referred to as "the desktop app") . I restarted the iPhone development from scratch and didn't use any code from the desktop app for 1.0. In Exposure 1.0, I was worried about falling foul of Apple's instruction that iPhone apps should not be "bandwidth hogs", so I took a very conservative approach to network traffic: one request at a time and no preloading.
With some more experience under my belt, I realised that the crushing problem with wireless networking (whether EDGE or 3G) was latency, not bandwidth per se. Doing "one request at a time", particularly for small objects like Flickr's 75px thumbnails, means that you pay the high time-cost of latency once for every object you load.
In Exposure 1.1, I ported the image downloading code from the desktop app to the phone. This code provides multiple queues, a priority scheduler and highly parallel downloading. Exposure 1.1 now runs 15 thumbnail requests in parallel, so you pay the latency cost once and then start to see several images load.
Exposure 1.1 caches thumbnails in an SQLite database on the phone. I originally wrote a filesystem-based image cache which worked, but had a few pathological code paths. The worst offender was the time it took to calculate the current size of the cache, for which I had to walk the file hierarchy and sum the size of each file. After hearing Dr. Richard Hipp's talk on SQLite at C4 it was clear what I had to do. I ripped out the filesystem cache and, with some help and code from Ian Baird, I had a faster and more elegant cache in far fewer lines of code in just a couple of days.
Near Me now has a lot more control over the results of the search. In Exposure 1.0, the results were taken from a five mile radius and sorted by ascending distance from your location. This was usually OK, but produced some bad results in situations where a lot of uninteresting pictures were taken near your location. The canonical example is if you were in a restaurant or pub district of a city. In such an area, you would find a lot of photos of people you didn't know at parties appearing at the top of the search and pushing more interesting photos down the list.
In Exposure 1.1, you firstly have control over the search radius, from 1 mile up to 20 miles. This helps in situations where you're in a place that's either very densely-tagged (where you might want to narrow the radius) or sparsely-tagged (where a radius wider than 5 miles might get you something). Exposure 1.1 also lets you use distance, interestingness or date as the field to sort on. For interestingness and date, you can choose ascending or descending sort. The Flickr API only returns ascending distance, so sort direction is ignored if you're sorting on distance.
My favourite arrangement is a search radius of 2-3 miles, sorted by descending interestingess (i.e. most interesting first). In areas that you frequent a lot, you might want to choose descending-date sorting to show you the newest photos near your house. Lots of good options.
Finally, I should say that distances are now localised to the unit of measurement in use in your locale. I will further apologise to my fellow Brits that iPhone OS thinks we use metres and kilometres for distance. Distances are currently only displayed in the row view and not the thumbnail view.
There were a number of changes to the interface in Exposure 1.1. Most obvious amongst them is that Exposure now shows thumbnails in a 4-column grid instead of the single-image rows that 1.0 had. The 1.0 interface is still there, and can be selected in the new Settings view. It's not obvious but, if you double tap a thumbnail, you'll go to the info view instead of the full-screen view.
Not every feature made it into Exposure 1.1. In particular, uploading isn't there yet. I decided to play it safe with this release and just do two or three highly disruptive code changes instead of four or five. I also didn't want to delay getting the new downloader and cache into the hands of users. Performance is a feature, and I think that this new version makes using Exposure a significantly more pleasant experience.